How to Fix Attempted Operation Failed in Outlook
Ashwani Tiwari |
Published: September 14, 2021 | MS Outlook
The Outlook error message “The attempted operation failed.” An item could not be found. Is one the most annoying error message? And its occurs when you try to send emails or try to open email attachments.
Now, if you are getting this error and seeking a solution to resolve it, then here in this blog we are going to discuss some of the best troubleshooting methods to resolve attempted operation failed in Outlook.
But before going to the solution first let’s understand the reasons why this error happened in Outlook. So the solution becomes easier to understand.
Reasons Behind Attempted Operation Failed in Outlook
There are essentially two types of reasons that might result in “The attempted operation failed.” The error message “An item could not be located” is due to Outlook misconfiguration and corruption. But along with that, there are some more reasons that are responsible for this error.
- Older Version of Outlook -You are likely to encounter this problem if you are using an older version of Microsoft Outlook. As a result, ensure that the software is always up to date.
- Outlook in Compatibility Mode – Few components will not function properly in Outlook compatibility mode. It might possibly be the cause.
- Incompatible Apps – Many Outlook issues might also be caused by conflicting software on your PC, such as antivirus/firewalls.
- Incomplete Office or Outlook Installation – If your Office or Outlook installation is incomplete, then you will notice this error message.
- Corrupted PST File – If the PST file is damaged, the Outlook error message the operation failed the messaging interfaces error will be shown.
- Incompatible Outlook Add-ins or Rules – The attachment error notice will appear if there are competing Outlook add-ins or rules that are not properly configured.
How to Fix Attempted Operation Failed in Outlook Error?
As we said above we will discuss some troubleshooting methods to fix this error. So here we are here in this section we are going to discuss free methods to resolve the error.
# Tip 1: Check the Compatibility Settings
Checking the Outlook compatibility settings is the first free troubleshooting approach you may attempt. Because this issue also occurs when Outlook’s compatibility mode is activated. To test it, perform the following steps:
1. To start, go to the Start menu and put outlook.exe into the search box.
2. Now, right-click on the displayed application and select Open file location from the menu that appears.
3. Right-click on OUTLOOK.EXE and then choose Properties.
4. Then, go to the Compatibility tab and see whether the checkbox against
5. Now, if compatibility mode is chosen, make sure to deselect it before clicking OK.
6. Once the process is completed, restart the Outlook application to see if the problem has been fixed.
#Tip 2: Disable Anti-Virus Software
As previously stated, some external antivirus programs may impair Outlook performance, resulting in an operation failed error in Outlook. Basically, certain anti-virus programs check all emails in Outlook, which might be the cause of the delayed email processing and, eventually, the problem. To resolve this, just disable the email scanner option in your antivirus software.
#Tip 3: Reinstall Microsoft Office
Errors with Microsoft Office are frequently caused by improper installation. As a consequence, manual Microsoft Office program repair may be useful in this situation. Simply follow the steps below to repair the Microsoft Office.
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue box. Then put appwiz.cpl in the Run box.
2. Change the Microsoft Office edition by right-clicking on it.
3. Then press the Yes button to continue.
4. Press the OK button after selecting one of the repair options (immediate or online).
5. Restart your Outlook application and attempt to see your emails again when the operation is completed.
#Tip 4: Remove Unnecessary Add-Ins
The majority of Outlook users install several add-ins to improve functionality and productivity. However, some of the add-ins work against you and cause problems, such as attempted operation failed in Outlook. Now, to solve this, see whether you have any unneeded Outlook add-ins turned on. To disable it, follow the instructions below:
1. To begin, launch Outlook.
2. Next, go to the File menu and choose it.
3. In the Outlook Options box, double-check that the Manage option is set to COM Add-ins.
4. Finally, press the Go button.
5. Uncheck the unnecessary Outlook Add-ins in the COM Add-ins window.
6. Once the Add-ins have been disabled, click OK.
7. Close Outlook and then reopen it to see whether the problem has been addressed.
#Tip 5: Repair Outlook PST Data File
As previously stated, PST corruption might be the cause of attempted operation failed in Outlook. However, the question is how to repair the damage of the Outlook data file in order to resolve this problem. Because as we know that the Outlook Inbox Restore application or scanpst fails to repair PST file is that is severely damaged.
So, in order to resolve this issue, we’ll offer the best PST Recovery Tool, which is one of the most reliable ways for repairing Outlook PST files. It’s a program that can quickly fix both major and minor corruption in Outlook PST files.
The software also has the ability to retrieve data that have been permanently erased. It is a tool that allows you to remove encryption from Outlook PST files and also allows you to repair encrypted Outlook PST files.
So, now it’s time to finish things up. In this blog, we’ve gone through all of the various solutions for fixing attempted operation failed in Outlook. So, try the above solutions and fix the Outlook problem to boost your productivity.