Know How to Check If Partition is MBR or GPT in Windows 10, 8, 7
Published: October 29, 2019 | Windows Error
Nowadays, the latest Windows versions and other operating systems can either user GPT(GUID Partition Table) or MBR(Master Boot Record) for their partition strategies. The MBR disks use the standard BIOS partition table, while GPT uses a unified extensible firmware interface(UEFI). From recent research, we understand that GPT has replaced MBR for placing tables on a physical disk. GPT is more advanced, which is used for booting Windows systems in UEFI mode. Whereas, MBT also helps in booting older Windows systems in BIOS mode. Have you ever checked if your disk users MBR or GPT partition? Therefore, we have come up with different methods to help you know if the disk is MBR or GPT in Windows 10.
Solutions to Check if Disk is MBR or GPT Partition
Method 1: Check if Disk is MBR or GPT via Disk Management
- Press Win+X and select Disk Management from the given list of options.
- Under Disk Management window, choose the disk to be checked and right-click on it and click on Properties.
- A Device Properties wizard opens, click the Volumes tab and it will show if the disk partition style is MBR or GPT.
Method 2: Check if Partition is MBR or GPT through Device Manager
- Firstly, hit Win+X keys to launch the Device Manager in Windows 10
- Now, expand the disk drives to check if the disk is MBR or GPT partition.
- Once the disk properties window is launched, choose the Volumes tab and click on the Populate button.
- From the Volumes tab, one can check if the disk uses MBR or GPT partition style.
Method 3: Know if Partition is MBR or GPT via Command Prompt
- Initially, press Win+R and type cmd to launch the Command Prompt
- Now, first type the command as diskpart and hit the Enter key
- After that, type list disk command and press the Enter key
- Then, it will show you, which partition style does your disk uses.
Note: If the resultant disks shows *(asterisk) on the GPT column, then the disk is a GPT partition. On the other hand, if a disk does not shows a *(asterisk) in the GPT column, it means the disk uses MBR partition style.
Method 4: Know if Disk is MBR or GPT via Windows PowerShell
- First of all, type PowerShell in the Start menu to launch Windows PowerShell
- Once it is launched, type Get-Disk and hit the Enter key
- Then, you can check if a disk is MBR or GPT in Windows 10 as shown below.
The above discussed manual solutions can help to know if a partition is MBR or GPT partition style. Well, it is always observed among users while checking the partitions, sometimes it leads to serious issues. This is because, if the commands are not properly executed, it can lead to severe data loss. So, how to recover the files due to the incorrect running of commands?
Get Lost Files in Healthy State
The manual steps need to be performed with the utmost care. As there can be a serious loss of data from the disk drives if a user types incorrect commands to know if the disk is MBR or GPT. Therefore, to tackle this situation, one can use a dynamic professional tool like SoftwarePro Hard Disk Recovery Wizard. With this tool, now users can easily know if the partition is MBR or GPT partition without worrying about any loss of data. It is capable to recover any type of files from the drive such as photos, audio, video, etc. It is a standalone tool to recover even the permanent deleted files.
Know How Does This Tool Works?
- Firstly, download and install the software on your system
Download HDD Recovery
Software Buy Software Now
- After selecting the drive for recovery, it shows a complete detail of the drive as shown below.
- Select the scan mode and after the scanning completes, it shows all the recovered folders on the left panel.
- One can view the entire recovered files by selecting the folders from the left pane. Now, all the recovered files are highlighted in red color.
- Now to save the recovered files, one can either create a New Folder or specify the desired location.
Let’s Wrap Up
Sometimes, users need to know if the disk is MBR or GPT. Under such circumstance, one can use any of the methods described in this blog. However, if any data is lost accidentally while executing the commands over the command prompt. Then, use the advanced automated tool, which can efficiently recover the permanent deleted files from the partition.