How Do I Install an SSD in My Laptop – Here Is the Answer
Ashwani Tiwari |
Published: June 18, 2021 | Technology
User Query 1: “I have a one-year-old Asus laptop and I would like to call myself a heavy user. I am not quite happy with the performance of the internal hard drive that came with the laptop itself. My friends are suggesting I switch to SSD for better performance and speed. But I have no clue how to do that. Please tell me how do I install an SSD on my laptop? I will be very grateful. Thanks in advance.”
User Query 2: “These days, all I hear is the praise of SSD drives. Though they may seem a bit costly to many, I have no problem paying that much, considering its speed and other positive features. But the main problem in installation. I have never opened my Dell laptop, let alone removing the hard drive. So, can you tell me how do I put a SSD in my laptop? In case you know the process, kindly describe in detail. I am a completely novice person when it comes to opening a Acer laptop and not willing to go to the tech guy for this task.”
SSD is undoubtedly winning its game against HDD, but the progress is quiet and slow. Therefore, common people may not know much how Samsung 860 Evo SSD is spreading its kingdom among desktop and laptop users. But, if one visits tech forums, they will see numerous queries regarding SSD drives and their installation process. One of the most frequently asked questions is: how do I install an SSD on my laptop.
It means that people are very much willing to start using SSDs in place of traditional hard disks but they do not know the installation process. To help them in this situation, this post will talk about the complete installation process of Samsung SSD on different laptops. Before moving to the main discussion, let’s learn briefly about SSD drive and the benefits of its usage.
What is SSD and Why Should You Migrate?
The full form of SSD is Solid-State Drive and it is a device that stores data using flash memory. When the prices of an HDD and an SSD of the same size are compared, the SSD is costlier. Due to this reason, many users refrain from upgrading to SSD. But if you consider the characteristics of these two storage devices, you will see that SSD contains more advantages than HDD. SSD is not only faster than HDD, it even consumes less power than the HDD. SSD also produces almost no heat, vibration, and noise. For these reasons, many users are moving to SSD from the conventional hard drive.
Learn the Answer to the Question: How Do I Install an SSD in My Laptop?
In this section, we will depict the complete steps of SSD drive installation in laptop. Follow all the steps sequentially to complete the installation successfully.
Caution: Always remember to take the backup of complete hard drive data before performing hard drive removal and installation process. By doing this if you loose your crucial data then try SoftwarePro SSD Data Recovery Tool to recover all your important data in a safe location. Free download demo version of the utility to check the working efficiency of the application. This tool can recover deleted data from SSD. It also recover files after formatting SSD.
- First of all, find a suitable SSD for your laptop model and purchase it. Usually, SSDs with standard 2.5″ SATA port go with most of the laptops. For customized opinions, ask hard drive experts or the customer support of your laptop.
- Navigate to BIOS/UEFI settings of your laptop and switch to ACHI mode (if possible.)
- Refer to the manual of your laptop for the instruction of removing the internal hard disk and follow it. If the written manual is unavailable, check online for the complete guide.
- Now, install the SSD into the currently empty hard disk bay. Take extra caution about the pins, connectors, and screws if applicable.
- When SSD installation is over, it is time to install the Windows OS onto that SSD. You can either perform a clean Windows OS installation or use System Repair Disc and Backup Image to clone the items of HDD (if available). The latter method is only possible if SSD has enough space to save all HDD contents.
- (Optional Step) If users want, they can use their hard drive as an external drive for storage and backup purposes. For that, they have to purchase an HDD enclosure.
Also know: how to get Windows to recognize New SSD drive
In this post, we provided a complete guide for the SSD drive installation process. Reading this, users will find the answer to their query, ‘how do I install an SSD on my laptop?’ At the same time, they can perform the procedure with success. But, they should always keep in mind to back up their complete hard drive data using the data recovery software mentioned here before proceeding with the actual installation process.