Fix you Need to Format Disk Before You Can Use It (External Disk) – Trusted Solution
Published: January 3, 2019 | Windows Error
“I have been using Toshiba Canvio Advance 3TB external HDD from the last 6 months to store my games and documents. Unluckily, the last night when I plugged my hard drive with PC I frequently received an error “you need to format the disk before you can use it”. Now I am looking for a possible solution to fix format disk error in the external drive. I really do not want to lose my data because of drive formatting. But, this message is scratching my mind because it pops-up every minute on my computer screen. Thus, I urgently need a method that can fix format disk error without formatting. Please help!”
It is a very common issue where a user connects an external drive with the system and Windows says to format the disk before using it. And, we all know that formatting a drive means to say goodbye to all your previous data forever. However, there is no user wants to lose all its precious data, or memorable images within a single minute because of format disk error in the external hard drive. Therefore, in this article, we are going to discuss the actual reason behind this you need to format disk error and troubleshooting methods that can fix format disk error in an external hard drive.
What Will You Find Here?
- Why Disk Format Error Occurs in External Drive
- Fix You Need to Format Disk Error Without Formatting
- Fix External Drive Need to Format Error Using CMD
- Use CMD to Fix Need to Format Disk Before Use in Windows XP
- Fix Need to Format Disk Using CMD in Windows 8 & 8.1
- Fix External Hard Drive Showing Format Disk Error Windows 10
- Final Words
Why ‘Format the Disk’ Error Appears?
On the primary level, every hard drive requires to be formatted in order to prepare the data items with a particular file system. In such a case when the external drive has not been ready for using the system OS. It signifies that the drive and system need to be formatted in the same way. Else it will generate external hard drive format disk error.
However, when a user abruptly plugs-out the external storage devices such as SD Card, HDD without using Safely Remove mode. It will result out corruption in the partition table of the portable devices. Adding to it, the drive becomes RAW which is further not readable by Windows system. As a result, you need to format the disk before you can use it error message pops-up on the screen.
Steps to Fix External Hard Drive Format Disk Error
Here, we are going to discuss top 2 workarounds that can fix this external drive format error. So, let’s get started without wasting precious time!
Method 1: Fix You Need to Format Disk Error Without Formatting
The first preferred workaround is to scan the external drive with a licensed anti-virus program. It will use to check any malware program in the drive that might be causing this error. However, this solution can remove the important data file that has been highly damaged by the virus. So, use this method on your own risk to fix external hard drive showing format disk error, if the problem is not resolved, then move to the second solution.
Note: – If your storage device formatted and you want a trusted solution then find the best software to recover data from formatted hard disk.
Method 2: Fix Format Disk Error Without Formatting Using CMD
Find here separate solution to resolve external hard drive showing format disk error in Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP etc.
Fix Need to Format Disk Error In Windows XP Using CMD
- Navigate to Start and click on Run.
- After that, type ‘cmd’ in the Open box and hit Enter.
- Next, type ‘chkdsk’ in order to use the utility in read-only mode and press Enter.
- In order to fix the errors without scanning any bad sector, type ‘chkdsk disk volume:/f’ and hit Enter, where disk volume represents the drive letter.
- If a user needs to repair the problem along with scanning of bad sectors, then execute ‘chkdsk disk volume:/r’ and hit the Enter key.
Fix Need to Format Disk Error in Windows 8 or 8.1 Using CMD
- Initially, you need to sign in Windows 8 or 8.1.
- Now, press Windows along with C key in order to open Charms bar.
- Select Search and type cmd.
- Now, you need to perform right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- After that, log in as administrator and type the following mentioned command: chkdsk drive volume: /f /r
Fix External Drive Need to Format Error in Windows 10 Using CMD
- Click on Start button and type cmd.
- From the search results, select the Command Prompt icon and right click on it. Then, select Run as administrator.
- Next, execute the following command in the prompt: chkdsk drive letter: /f /r
Note: – You may also want to know how to increase C drive space without formatting the disk.
Use Professional Solution to Secure all Your Import Files & Folders
If the error you need to format the disk before you can use it fixed, and you lost some files or the none of the above solution works for you. And the forcefully you have to format your external disk. Now, the next comes in users mind is, by doing formatting all the data files get erased from the drive. So, in order to avoid data loss try this Hard Drive Recovery Software. It is a tool that can recover data from a formatted drive easily. Actually, after formatting, the data remain kept in the drive until it is overwritten by any other data. So, it is advised that when you format the drive, then stop using it and try this utility.
Getting an error you need to format the disk before you can use it, that says to format the disk while plug-in the external storage device is very annoying. Therefore, in this technical post, we have discussed the top 2 methods that can fix format disk error in the external hard drive. So, use the method as per your convenience. Here you also found the solution for how to fix format disk error without formatting using CMD?