Resolve “Default Outlook Profile.Ost Is In Use And Cannot Be Accessed” Error
Are you searching for the effortless solution to resolve “default Outlook profile.ost is in use and cannot be accessed” error message? But, did not find any satisfactory solution. No need to get panic. Because, here we will resolve the default Outlook profile.ost cannot be opened. With the help of both manual and professional solution. One can use any of them as a solution to solve the Outlook OST error.
Most people who use MS Outlook and MS Exchange Server must be familiar with the OST file extension. It basically stands for Offline Storage Table. And uses .ost as the file extension to store the mailbox data while working in an offline mode of MS Outlook.
In addition, the OST file of Microsoft Outlook is always stored on the local machine. Also keeps all data like emails, contacts, calendars, etc., in an original format. Whenever a user gets connected to Microsoft Exchange Server, all the email messages and other data stored in the OST file are merged with the online mailbox automatically. Therefore, the Outlook OST file has a significant role. When a user encounters an issue like limited or unreliable network connectivity.
Some Outlook.OST File Errors
However, in some situations when a user starts the application and received an error message Outlook.ost is in use and cannot be accessed. This means a user is trying to open the OST file that is already in use by some other application. Apart from this single error, there are few Outlook.ost files errors, which are commonly encountered by the users and are mentioned below:
- OST file in use error Outlook 2010, 2007, 2003
- Outlook.Ost file is in use and cannot be accessed in 2013
- Outlook.ost file is in use by another application
- Default Outlook Profile.ost is in use and cannot be accessed
- Cannot display the folder the file username.ost is in use and cannot be accessed
Also Read:- OST file keeps getting corrupted
Why “Default Outlook Profile.Ost is in Use And Cannot Be Accessed” Error Occur?
There can be many possible reasons behind the “the file username.ost is in use and cannot be accessed” error. But, the main cause of this error is when multiple users or application tries to use the same OST file. In addition, there are some other reasons also, which are discussed below:
- A slow or unreliable internet connection can also result in “Outlook.ost is in use and cannot be accessed error“.
- It can also be possible due to improper synchronization of Outlook OST file with Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Sometimes runtime, program, or software conflicts certain with Microsoft Outlook application can result in such types of errors in the Outlook OST file.
- If unauthorized users attempt to access the OST file, then also it generates a “the file username.ost is in use and cannot be accessed” error.
Different Approaches to Resolve “Default Outlook Profile.ost Cannot Be Opened” Error
After having complete knowledge of Outlook OST file errors, it’s time to solve the default Outlook Profile.OST is in use and cannot be accessed in error. If a user wants to choose a quick, easy, and efficient solution. Then, it suggested using a professional OST to PST Converter. The tool is designed in a simple way. In the case of default Outlook, the OST file is already in use, you can use this way to fix all issues. Free download a demo version of the application to check the working efficiency of the utility.
You can use this tool to repair damaged OST files in just a few numbers of clicks. However, if a user wants to go for the manual solution. Then, we discussed three manuals to solve the “the file username.ost is in use and cannot be accessed” error. A user can try all of them to resolve Outlook. ost file error without any expert help.
Working Guidance of This Application
- Launch the utility on your Windows machine.
- Hit on Add File option to navigate the OST file
- After that, preview all data of the OST file into the application panel
- In the end, hit on the Export button to save your data at the desired location
Method 1: Exit Microsoft Outlook & Terminate All MS Outlook-Related Processes
The initial solution is that a user can try to fix the “default Outlook profile.ost is in use and cannot be accessed” error of Outlook. To perform the solution in a proper manner, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to close the MS Outlook application carefully
- After that, right-click on the Taskbar and choose the Task Manager option
- Now, you need to click on the Processes tab
- Here, you need to search for “Communicator“, “Lync“, “ucmapi” or “Outlook“
- After locating it, you need to choose the End task button to kill the ongoing process
Also Read:- Export ost file from exchange server
Method 2: Turn Off Cached Exchange Mode
Another possible manual to fix Outlook.ost is in use and cannot be accessed issue is by disabling cached Exchange mode. To do the same, follow the steps given below:
- To begin, exit the Microsoft Outlook application
- After that, go to Control Panel and click on the Mail option
- Then, choose the Email Accounts >> Email tab
- Now, select the Email-Id and click on the Change button
- Here, you need to Uncheck the “Use Cached Exchange Mode” >> Choose Next button and after that, click on the Finish button
Also Read:- Fix Outlook cannot open OST file
Method 3: Run ScanOST.Exe in Outlook 2007 & Bellow
If any of the above methods do not work perfectly, a user is advised to simply run the OST Integrity Check tool. It is the most effective method to resolve “default Outlook Profile.ost is in use and cannot be accessed”. Now, to run the ScanOST.exe application, follow the steps given below:
- First of all, exit the Microsoft Outlook
- After that, you need to launch the ScanOST.exe tool
- Now, click on the Mailbox option and after that choose the Repair Errors option
- Then, click on the Begin Scan option
- The tool will start scanning the hierarchy and fix all OST file error
The Final Note
The OST file is very important for any Outlook user. If there is an issue in the OST file, then it can badly affect the normal functioning of MS Outlook. It keeps on generating an error message like default Outlook Profile.ost is in use and cannot be accessed.
Therefore, to fix all such types of errors three manual solutions are discussed. But, there are some limitations to using manual methods to fix Outlook. ost is in use and cannot be accessed. There might be some loss of data and manual solutions are unable to repair highly corrupted OST files.