Know What is Taking Up So Much Space On Hard Drive Windows 10, 8, 7?
Published: November 12, 2019 | Windows Error
The disk space can run out quickly and sometimes even without notifying that what is taking up space. Well, it is a very common issue encountered by almost all computer users that the hard drive/ solid-state drive of the system is filled up and when users least expect it they found there is no more space to save new data. If you are one among those users who are getting Low Disk Space error, then no need to worry about this. There are several ways to determine and free up space from Windows hard drive. Here is our guide for what is taking up so much space on my hard drive Windows 10, 8, 7?
Pro Tip: If somehow you have lost your crucial data from a computer’s hard drive then, use Computer Data Recovery Tool to get all lost files back. It ensures data integrity and security.
Download HDD Recovery
Software Buy Software Now
Reason 1. Installation of Space-Hungry Applications
There are many applications or programs installed on the computer that we no longer use and occupy large storage space. Removing such applications can make a good amount of space on the hard drive to install new programs and download photos, videos to the hard drive of the computer. If you don’t know what is taking up so much space on the hard drive. Then perform the below-mentioned solution:
Solution: – Follow the steps below to uninstall unnecessary programs in Windows OS:
- Click on the Start menu and choose Settings
- Select System
- First, write App in the search bar and then Click Apps & features option and you will get a list of all installed applications
- Select the application that you no longer use or unneeded and click on Uninstall
Reason 2. Check for Extremely Large Temporary Files
Windows create temporary files when a Windows Session becomes dismissed in a suspicious way or when the system gets shut-down without properly closing the running applications. These .tmp extension files are saved in the hard drive of a computer and sometimes the large-sized temporary files affect the performance of OS and the system runs out of space. Here you will come to know what is taking up space on my hard drive Windows 10?
Solution: – Disk Cleanup tool allows deleting temporary files that are large in size. Below is how to use this tool:
- Click Start >> Computer
- Hit a right-click on the system hard drive and choose Properties
From the General tab, choose Properties
- Now, Windows will start scanning the drive and show that how much space you can save via running Disk Cleanup
- Choose the files you want to delete from the drive and hit the OK button.
Reason 3. Check Junk Files as Temp/ Log/ Downloaded/ Registry Files
Junk files remain on the computer after performing a task. In addition, sometimes the Windows or any program creates a temporary file to execute some tasks and forgot to delete the .tmp file. After a time, the system accumulates a large number of junk files in the form of temporary files, downloaded files, log files, unnecessary registry entries that display system out of space. You will get a working solution for what is taking up so much space on my hard drive?
Solution: – Below, are the instructions on how to remove junk files from computer:
- Navigate to Settings >> System >> Storage
- Now, you will see that this feature is disabled by default and you can toggle it to turn on
- Click on Change how we free up space and you will get two different options:
- Delete temporary files that apps aren’t using: This option will remove all the temporary files generated by applications but not in use currently
- Delete files that have been in the recycle bin for over 30 days: This option will delete all the files present in the recycle bin folder for more than 30 days
- After this, hit the Clean now button to release more storage space immediately
Reason 4. Accumulated Duplicate Files Over Time
Today, almost every computer comprises duplicate files. These files roll up over time and get scattered all over the computer drive and consume valuable disk space. The more duplicate files on computer’s HDD/ SSD, the slower Windows computer will be. Check what is taking up so much space on my hard drive Windows 10, 8, 7?
Solution: – In order to remove duplicate files from the system:
- Go to the location where files are duplicated
- Now, select all the duplicate files you want to remove
- Press the Shift+Delete buttons and click Yes
- Repeat the steps to remove duplicate files from different locations of the computer.
Reason 5. Trash Folder Reaches Ridiculously Big Size
Normally deleted files end up being moved to the Recycle Bin folder. This folder is handy from the safety point of view as one can restore a file from this that was deleted mistakenly. However, this folder also has a defined size limit to store the eliminated data and when the limit exceeds, the system starts crashing and results in other issues. In this case you also don’t know what is taking up so much space on my hard drive?
Solution: – If you want to remove files from the Recycle Bin folder:
- Navigate to the location where Recycle Bin folder is situated
- Select the folder and hit a right-click on it
- Choose Empty Recycle Bin option
- After this, all the files of the Recycle Bin folder will be deleted permanently from the system.
Hard drive with higher capacity always seems to fill up and displays low space while users try to save new data. In such conditions, users ask for a common question that what is taking up space on my hard drive in Windows OS. In this article, we have tried to roll up all the most probable reasons and solutions to free up hard drive storage space in the Windows system. Users can opt for solutions according to their cases.