Top 2 Ways to Transfer OneDrive for Business to Another Account
If you are looking for an easy and error-free way to transfer OneDrive for Business to another account, your search will end today. In this detailed write-up, we are here to provide you with a comprehensive approach and expert advice to carry out this data transfer in OneDrive.
But before getting into the step-by-step process. Let’s have a quick discussion of a real-life scenario to understand the whole situation in a better way.
I have been assigned the task of transferring OneDrive for business files to another user in my company. We just went through a business merger situation and now I must take place this data migration in Microsoft 365. Does anyone suggest to me an easy way to do the same?
Microsoft 365 is the most used business productivity suite within organizations. OneDrive, a part of Microsoft 365 plays a vital role in organizations to store their essential documents for further use. As per the requirements of the organizations in day-to-day life, it is more common to undergo data migration because of business mergers, divestiture, and acquisitions activities.
However, Microsoft does not provide its users with a direct tool or method to transfer OneDrive for business to another account. Therefore, we generally consider two ways of OneDrive migration in Microsoft 365. In this blog, we are going to discuss one-by-one both approaches to achieving successful OneDrive migration.
5 Quick Steps to Migrate OneDrive for Business to Another Tenant
- Step 1: Download, and run the Software.
- Step 2: Opt Office 365 for Source & Destination.
- Step 3: Choose the Documents Option & Apply Filter.
- Step 4: Sign in using the Office 365 Admin Credentials.
- Step 5: Select Desired User Accounts and click on Start.
How to Transfer OneDrive for Business to Another Account?
There are two possible ways to transfer OneDrive files to another account. One is the conventional approach and another one is the expert’s approach. In the conventional approach, users need to log in to their source OneDrive account, download all the data, and then log in to the destination account and upload these data to move OneDrive for Business files to another account.
However, in the expert’s approach, the user needs to install an automated tool in their systems and needs to execute some basic steps. Let’s understand them in detail.
Migrate OneDrive for Business to Another Account – Manually
Transferring OneDrive for Business files to another user can also be done by downloading and uploading the files manually using the following steps:
- Step 1. Sign in to the OneDrive for Business account you want to transfer files from.
- Step 2. Locate the required files for migration.
- Step 3. Click on the “Download” button to download the files to your local computer.
- Step 4. Sign out of the OneDrive for Business account and sign in to the account of the user you want to transfer the files.
- Step 5. Go to the OneDrive for Business account of the user you want to transfer the files to and create a new folder for the transferred files.
- Step 6. Upload the downloaded files to the newly created folder in the other user’s OneDrive for Business account to copy OneDrive files to another OneDrive account.
- Step 7. Set the permissions for the other user on the uploaded files. You can choose to give the user full control over the files or limit their access to view-only permissions.
- Step 8. Once you’ve set the permissions, notify the other user that the files have been transferred and are available in their OneDrive for Business account.
The other user can then access the transferred files by logging in to their own OneDrive for Business account and navigating to the shared folder.
Why Not Choose the Manual Approach?
- This method is unable to keep the hierarchy of the data, files, and folders.
- It is also not possible to migrate all the data to every user one by one.
- Users can face download and upload errors in this method if their network connectivity is not good.
- It is not practical to use for large data sizes.
- It does not support bulk user data transfer.
- There are more chances of errors and not a good fit to move OneDrive files to another account.
Also Read: How to Backup Office 365 Emails to OneDrive?
Expert’s Way to Transfer OneDrive for Business to Another Account
In the absence of any direct method or tool, hence, it is suggested to use the OneDrive Migration Tool, a brilliant, reliable, and error-free tool. Specially designed for taking place multiple types of data migration projects in Microsoft 365.
This is a modern and feature-rich tool, that ensures a seamless data transition experience for its users. Moreover, it also offers a technical team, that provides 24/7 technical support to its users, just in case they need any technical assistance.
Working Steps to Migrate OneDrive for Business to Another Tenant
This is prominent software that transfers data seamlessly with just a few clicks. Follow the given steps for the same.
Step 1. In this first step Download the software on your machine and run it. Then you can see an option to select the migration platform. In this step select Office 365 as the source and the destination migration platform as well.
Step 2. Now in this step check the migrate Document box provided in this utility. Enable document permissions and group mapping. And click on Next.
Note: Use the Date-based filter for selective data migration according to the date range.
Step 3. Log in with the Credentials of the source and destination Admin ID and Application ID and to transfer OneDrive for Business files to another user click on Next.
Step 4. Create user accounts mapping for mapping the source users’ account and destination accounts, to do so, this utility provides three different options. Use any of these options and create user mapping: Fetch Users, Import Users, and Download Template.
Step 5. Now after all these, click on the validate button for validating all the permissions associated with this migration.
Step 6. After the validation of all the required permissions, click on the Start migration button and the process will start, and after a few minutes, migration will be completed.
Why Choose Expert’s Recommended Software?
There are several reasons why you should use the above-explained software to move OneDrive files to another account. Some of the key reasons are as follows:
- It provides a simple and seamless process without any errors. You can also Migrate Office 365 Users to Another Tenant using this tool.
- The user is not required to be good at OneDrive technicalities.
- There are no possibilities of errors because the software is smart enough to complete the process efficiently.
- There are several advanced features such as Delta Migration, and Re-Run migration which you can use in between the process.
- Users can take a look at executed steps with the help of a report that is generated after the migration.
This blog provides two different solutions to transfer OneDrive for business to another account in Microsoft 365. Users can use the manual method for limited data migration, however, it is recommended to use professional software to migrate data in Microsoft 365.
The above-mentioned tool can easily perform this operation with maximum data security and integrity.