How to Setup /m:recoverserver Switch in Exchange Server 2016 / 2013 / 2010
Ashwani Tiwari |
Published: March 10, 2021 | Exchange Server
The Exchange server failure directly impect the workflow of any organization. It may be led to stop the services and restrict you to run the business. If Microsoft Exchange server failed to recover and you want a trusted solution for how to setup /m:recoverserver switch in Exchange server 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 etc.
Microsoft Exchange server failed to recover and went into the inconsistent state. We all know that the server is not a small thing. So, it’s not easy to fix the Exchange database corruption issue. But, the Microsoft provides powerful utilities to tackle error. In the same way, the user can use /m:recoverserver switch in Exchange to recovery failed server.
Table of Content for Setup /m RecoverServer
List of points, which I am going to discuss in this article to setup /m:recoverserver in Exchange 2016 and below versions.
- What is Setup /m:recoverserver Switch in Exchange Server
- Causes behind Exchange Server Failure
- Use of Setup /m RecoverServer Switch in Exchange
- Steps to Fix Exchange Server Failed to Recover Via Setup /m:recoverserver
Without wasting time lets start discussion each points step by step.
What is Setup /m:recoverserver Switch in Exchange Server 2016 / 2013 / 2010
The Microsoft provides Setup /m:recoverserver Switch as a tool to recover corrupted Exchange server. It is also called as M Switch. Basically, it is a command which directs Exchange server to read active directory setup instructions. While executing this command the server name must be the same. After executing this command successfully the services get installed on Exchange and the roles and settings in Active Directory will apply.
Causes Behind Exchange Server Failure
There are many causes due to which the Exchange server get corrupted and failed to recover. Some of them are listed here:
- Unintentional Power Failure
- Hardware failure or hardware incompatibility
- Virus attack and logical error
- Unwanted change in Exchange role setting
- Database size issue led to corruption
Use of Setup /m RecoverServer Switch in Exchange Server
If your Exchange database corrupted and failed to recover. Then try to use Setup /m:recoverserver switch in Exchange server 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 etc. This command will recover the Exchange from inconsistent state to consistent state.
The Setup /m:recoverserver switch will not recover the Edge Transport server. Also, while executing this command make sure that the operating system, drive letter, recovery platform, hardware configuration should be the same as in failed Exchange.
Steps to Run Setup /m:recoverserver Switch in Exchange Server 2016, 2013, 2010
After gathering all information lets perform the final step i.e. setup /m recoverserver switch on Exchange 2016, 2013 or any below versions. Follow the steps listed here:
- First log in to the domain controller and reset your computer account. Run dsa.msc and Open Active Directory User and Computer. Select the computer from MMC snap-in.
- Here Select the computer name and follow Crashed >> Action >> Reset Account.
- Now setup connection between your computer and respective domain and install dependencies of Exchange Server.
- Find installed location of Exchange server files. The default location is %programfiles%MicrosoftExchange ServerV14. If not found the files at their default location. Run the command to find the location:
CN=ExServerName, CN=Servers, CN=First Administrative Group, CN=Administrative Groups, CN=ExOrg Name, CN=Microsoft Exchange, CN=Services, CN=Configuration, DC=DomainName, CN=Com
5. Hot mouse right-click on Exchange server object and hit on Properties. Find and open the msExchInstallPath to know the current installation path.
- Now write Setup /m:recoverserver command to install the Exchange server to the new location.
- The recovered server mailbox server role must have respective publish folder database and the mailbox retrieved from backup or old location on disk.
The Exchange server corrupted and not able to recover. After reading the complete post, you will easily fix Exchange 2010 setup m recoverserver error. Also, find the complete explanation for how to setup /m:recoverserver switch in exchange server 2016 / 2013 / 2010 and fix Exchange corruption issue.