How to Convert Thunderbird to PST | Practical Solutions
Modified: July 23rd, 2019 | Thunderbird
Data migration sometimes can be really difficult to deal with. And when it is to be implemented on emails, it reaches a whole new level of complexity. There are different kinds of email file formats and each of them is sophisticated in its own way. This poses a problem for users, especially those who are fairly new to email migration.
In this article, we will be dealing with the question i.e., how to convert Thunderbird to PST. Although Thunderbird and Outlook are regarded as two of the most popular email clients, both of them lack any native means of conversion between them. Moreover, incompatibility between their data files(MBOX and PST) further complicates this issue. Which is why we have come up with practical manual and automatic method that can be implemented to perform this conversion easily.
Know How to Convert Thunderbird to PST Manually
No matter what the reason is for conversion to Outlook PST, the method to gain required results remain the same. In the following manual solution, we will be taking advantage of EML format, which is supported by both Thunderbird and latest version of MS Outlook (2010 & above). The steps are as follows:
- Transfer Thunderbird messages to EML Manually
- Move the EML files back into MS Outlook for Free
Now starting with the solution:
Step 1: Transfer Thunderbird messages to EML Manually
- Run the Mozilla Thunderbird application and select the mailbox folder in which the emails to be exported reside
- Now select the required messages in this mailbox folder. Use Ctrl+A for selection of all the email messages
- Next, right click on any of the selected emails and hit the Save As option
- Create and select a folder on local system to save the Thunderbird emails as EML files.
Step 2: Move the Converted Email files into Outlook for Free
MS Outlook 2010 and newer versions support direct import of EML files via manually dragging and dropping emails. But do note that this may take time depending on the number of files to be imported. The steps to import EML messages into Outlook are as follows:
- Run MS Outlook application and create a new mailbox folder. Name it accordingly
- Now, open the folder containing EML files on the local system
- Next, simply select each and every EML file, then drag and drop them into the newly created mailbox folder.
If the ultimate goal of knowing how to convert Thunderbird to PST file is accessing emails in Outlook, these manual steps are fine enough! But if the user specifically requires PST file, then use the free native Import/export option in Outlook to gain it.
Note: For earlier versions of Outlook, users will need to drag and drop the EML files to Windows Live Mail. Then use the free native means to export these emails directly from Windows Live Mail to Outlook profile. Do note that, inline images may get converted into empty attachments after export.
Although this manual process works well and fine, it is not feasible for users having concerns such as:
Time consumption: Depending on the number of emails, the process will take time, lots of it, while both extracting emails from Thunderbird or transferring them to Outlook.
Data Integrity: Free manual conversion leads to loss of folder structure and puts the integrity of data at risk.
Bulk Conversion: Repetitiveness of this free manual process for each mailbox makes it tiresome for users and hinders the productivity during bulk export.
The Practical Way to Go About Thunderbird to PST Conversion
Manual solutions may be free but they suffer from a variety of risks and hence are unable to provide proficient results. So users tend to look for alternatives that focuses on quick but effective migration. MBOX to PST Converter is a compendious solution for transferring the emails from Thunderbird Mailbox to PST. It overcomes all the shortcomings of manual email migration by converting bulk messages quickly and efficiently.
Its unique ability to automatically detect the configured Thunderbird mailboxes drastically minimizes the time factor. The tool is already among the most trusted utilities as it executes email migration without compromising with any constituent of Thunderbird messages.
Some major benefits are as follows:
- Ability to convert orphan Thunderbird MBOX files in bulk
- Automated scanning and exporting mailboxes from configured Thunderbird to PST
- Retains all inline images and other email content in its original form
- Extract and export Thunderbird attachments into the PST file with associated emails
- Maintains formatting and internal structure of data
- Preserves folder hierarchy during both automated and orphan mailbox conversion
The tool also comprises of several other features to help users customize their export procedure and at the same time provide users with accurate and efficient results.
Steps to migrate Thunderbird mailbox files to PST
- Download and launch the Thunderbird to PST conversion utility
- Click on Add File and choose the scan option as per requirement
- Default Profile Configured for automated Thunderbird mailbox detection
- Select file/folder from file system is for adding orphan MBOX files from local system
- Preview the emails and attachments before exporting to PST
- Hit the PST radio button and Export file with customizable export options
Users can access the converted files by browsing to the appropriate folder.
The post provides users with an overall idea on how to convert Thunderbird to PST. Among all the possible ways, we described the most practical ones which actually works. Users can either go through all the free manual steps and implement them at their own risk. Or simply opt the convenient utility to export Thunderbird emails to PST while they relax.