Know How to Mount and Unmount Your VHD / VHDX File in Windows Explorer Manually
Published: March 4, 2019 | Hyper-V
VHD and VHDX both represent a virtual hard drive. VHD may consist of what is stored on a physical HDD, such as a file system and disk partitions, which successively includes files and folders. Despite that, users get confused that how to implement the procedure to attach and detach a VHD. So, we consider this query and come up with this reliable article. Today! In this guide, we will be going to disclose the free solution to resolve the user’s issue such as how to mount and unmount VHD in Windows without any hassle. Before proceeding further initially, go through the below-explained methods to mount .vhd or .vhdx file into Windows file explorer. Also, here you will get proper guidance for how to unmount .vhdx / .vhd file into Windows Explorer.
People Also Searching!
- How Do I Mount A VHDX File in Window 10?
- How Can I Mount VHD File?
- Free Solution to Mount VHD / VHDX
- Mount VHD Windows 10 Command Line
- How to Unmount A VHD File in Windows 10?
Here in this blog, you will get a verified solution for all these queries. Below you will find the stress free solution to mount either VHD or VHDX file into Windows Explorer on Windows 10, 8, 7 etc. Also, with this, you will find the complete guide for how to unmount either .vhdx or .vhd file from Windows 10, 8, 7 etc. Simply, perform the steps listed below.
Mount and Unmount VHD / VHDX in Windows
Here, in this segment, we are going to mention the free method to permanently attach and detach VHD and VHDX. Mainly, this manual method is obtainable in multiple ways. All the techniques are discussed appropriately. However, you can follow any of them to implement the procedure of mount and unmount VHD in Windows. Let’s get going:
- Methods to Attach VHD or VHDX File in Windows
- Methods to Detach VHDX or VHD File in Windows
Methods to Mount VHD & VHDX in Windows Manually
Follow the below-stated directions to execute the process of VHD or VHDX mounting in Windows. Let’s move to mount VHD file windows 10, 8, 7 etc.
Note: – Not found files in VHDX file, try this VHDX Data Recovery Software to resolve inaccessibility.
#1: Attach VHD/VHDX in File in Windows Explorer
- Initially, to mount VHD/VHDX file, right-click on the VHD file and choose Mount option.
- Now, the VHD drive will be loaded to This PC / My Computer. So, you can easily copy and paste or access the preferred data from the disk.
#2: Mount VHD / VHDX Using Disk Management in Windows
With the help of Disk Management, you can easily mount your VHD/VHDX file. To do so, follow the below-listed steps sequentially:
- First of all, go to Windows start and right-click on This. Then, click on Disk Management.
- Now from Disk Management click on Action from the menu, and click on Attach VHD. After that browse the .vhd or .vhdx from your system.
- Wait for a few minutes, your VHD will be attached automatically
In case, if you are not able to find disk management utility in File Explorer. So, you can follow the below-listed steps to attach VHD.
- Firstly, click on Windows + R key and type diskmgmt.msc in the search box to open the Disk Management dialog box. After that, expand the action menu to proceed further.
- After that, expand the Action menu and choose Attach VHD option to proceed further.
- Here, hit on the Browse button to load the VHD or VHDX file which one is to be mounted. And click on OK.
- Finally, the desired VHD file will be mounted successfully
#3: Mount VHD/VHDX File Using Command Prompt (CMD)
- Press Win+X keys altogether, and select Command Prompt (Admin) mode.
- Now, in cmd wizard, you have to type diskpart and press the Enter key.
- Here, type the Select vdisk file=“location of VHD file” command to choose the VHD/VHDX file by indicating its location. After that, hit Enter to proceed ahead.
- Lastly, type attach vdisk and hit Enter to mount the VHD/VHDX file.
#4: Utilizing Powershell Utility to Attach VHD or VHDX File to Windows
This workaround is for those users who are working with Windows 10/8/7 and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008. To mount VHD/VHDX files you can take the help of this Windows PowerShell cmdlet. Follow the below-stated steps for the same:
- Primarily, run PowerShell cmdlet as Admin
- Afterward, type Mount-DiskImage -ImagePath “location of VHD file” commands to attach the VHD
Note: To mount a Hyper-V .vhd or .vhdx, you might get an error message such as Mount VHD is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet. Here, you have to add Hyper-V Module for Windows PowerShell to your server. After doing this you can easily copy the required data from VHD file to any disk drive normally. Subsequently, you can detach the VHD drive when you are done. However, in this upcoming segment, we mentioned the methods to unmount VHD in Windows.
Methods to Unmount VHD/VHDX in Windows Manually
Here, in this segment, you will get the different solutions to unmount VHD/VHDX in Windows 10, 8, 7 and below OS. Simply, follow the below-outlined steps for the same.
#1: Detach VHD/VHDX File in Windows Explorer
- Navigate to the New Volume or drive and then right-click on it.
- Then, choose Eject to successfully unmount VHD drive
#2: Unmount VHD / VHDX Using Disk Management in Windows
- Press Win+X keys and then, select Disk Management
- Additionally, to unmount the VHD/VHDX file, right-click on the added virtual disk and click on the Detach VHD option.
#3: Unmount VHD/VHDX File Using Command Prompt
- At first, press Win+X keys and hit on Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Now, type diskpart in cmd and press the Enter key.
- Lastly, type detach vdisk and press Enter to unmount a VHD file.
#4: Dismount VHD Utilizing Powershell Utility
- You have to launch PowerShell cmdlet as Admin.
- After that, type this Dismount-DiskImage -ImagePath “location of VHD file” command to unmount the virtual hard disk.
If you lose your crucial data from VHD and VHDX files after implementing the above-stated manual ways to mount and unmount VHD or in any other circumstances. At times, you need an instant way to fix this issue. So, do not worry! Using this Hyper-V Recovery software, you can easily get back all files and folders from VHD and VHDX files.
Hopefully, you will get rid of your issue such as how to mount and unmount A VHD file in Windows Explorer after reading this entire write-up. Mainly, we had mentioned the stress-free techniques to mount VHD and VHDX file in Windows 10, 8, 7. All the methods to attach and detach VHD/VHDX are discussed efficiently. So, you can implement any one as per your necessity.