Know Why to use Thunderbird: Advantages of Mozilla Thunderbird
Modified: December 30th, 2019 | MS Outlook
What is Mozilla Thunderbird & its Benefits ?
Mozilla Thunderbird is an Email-client and instant chat appliAcation which is free and open source platform. It provides benefits like auto-update, security and remote privacy. In this blog post you will learn some advantages of Thunderbird.
Once a user install and configure the Mozilla Thunderbird in a system, user can get various advantages of Mozilla Thunderbird .
It is good for user to use Mozilla Thunderbird as an Email Application platform for personal use.
Below there are some advantages of Thunderbird a user can obtain from Thunderbird:
Free and open source: One of the best thing about Mozilla Thunderbird is that it’s a free & open source Email application platform.It is free to use, change and update the software anyway and share the source code among peoples.
- POP3: It is used to retrieve the email.
- IMAP: Thunderbird implements most of the capabilities and functionalities by the use of IMAP protocol. It also allows to add their own extensions, De-factor standards by Google and Apple.
- LDAP: is use in Mozilla Thunderbird for address completion.
- S/MIME: S/MIME is use for encryption and digital signing using X.509 keys which is provided by Centralized Certificate Authority.
- OPEN PGP: It is use in Thunderbird for Email encryption.
File Format Supported in Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Mbox: one file holding many emails.
- Maildir: it is basically by default format of Thunderbird,it stores one file per each email.
In case of message management advantages of Thunderbird is search quickly, saved search folder,advance message filtering,messages grouping and find messages
Large file linking:
Since version 38,Thunderbird has integrated to support for large files is up to 2GB free without signing up for an account, rather than attaching them to mail message.
In case of Email customization Thunderbird has better platform,There is a vast collections of Extensions and Themes.
Extension will enable to add various features through the installation via Add-on.It also features an update functionality to update extensions.
Add-on also supports various features to upgrade background color,color scheme .some also provide various button themes that will make Thunderbird looks so different program.
There are two types of themes available in Thunderbird such as,
- Background Theme: It is light weight theme so that it is smaller to download.one can easily change background image and color schemes of Mozilla Thunderbird in it’s toolbar.
- Complete Theme: It is heavy weight theme so it is larger to download,it is more customization than the background theme.
Spam filtering is a email filtering feature of Thunderbird;Which in corporate with various statistical techniques for email filtering such as,
- Bayesian spam filter (technique of filtering spam which doesn’t determines which are spam and which are not.It also determines how to over come from spams)
- white-list(it allows particular identities to allow access particular service, mobility, access)
- spam assassin (is a server side filter which filters mail and identify the spams)
Security and privacy features of Thunderbird:
- Remote content in messages: Show the privacy result of allowing remote content message such as display images,video or spreadsheet in a message.
- Digital signing and Encrypting message: This page detailing about how to set up Thunderbird for digitally signing and encrypting message for secure purpose. Know how to Add Digital signature in Thunderbird
- Password manager: securely protect your Thunderbird username and password. It also enables tips about how to save, view, delete, edit the Password.
One-click address book:
One click address book is helpful to you by adding more people to your contacts. It is good to add more details about your contacts.
Support for Multiple Client Chat:
Best thing about Thunderbird,it also a chat client application. It provides multiple channel chat so you can chat with various chat box such as Odnoklassniki, Google Talk, IRC, XMPP.
HTML Code Insertion:
The insertion menu in Mozilla Thunderbird helps to provide the ability to include HTML code.
One can use subscripts with in <sub>…</sub>,degree symbol with ° into a message which is being to be computed.
Cross Platform Support:
User can run Mozilla Thunderbird in variety of software such as Linux, Windows, Mac and various ports are available such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD.
Attachment Reminder feature is beneficial to remind attach a word document or other file document in your message body before send.
One of the major advantages of Mozilla Thunderbird is to manage multiple email accounts by combining special various folder. They are Inbox, Send, Archive and save all incoming Email accounts in same Inbox folder.
Instead of going again and again inbox folder for each of your Email accounts.
Quick Filter Tool Bar:
In Thunderbird user can get advantage like to easily filter your email accounts simply go to the Quick filter Tool bar.
Then start typing in words in the Quick filter search box and result will display instantly.
Limitation & Issue of Thunderbird:
As many software there may be limitation such as number and size of file that are object to represent. But in case of Mozilla Thunderbird, it has a Pro that there is no limitation about the email to be send.
There also doesn’t prefer minimum no of attachment to the message and maximum no of attachment to the message. Any limits depends upon your email provider and SMTP server.
What is the use of Thunderbird?
Thunderbird is a free, open source, cross-platform Email-Client application. That manages multiple mails, news feed, news group and chats. It also a secure mail application which is not web based so it is easy to use.
Does Thunderbird work with Gmail?
Yes, Thunderbird work with Gmail. To configure Thunderbird with Gmail you have to first enable IMAP on your Gmail account. By default, your new Gmail account is IMAP enabled. Thunderbird will download all existing messages and your Gmail is ready for use.
Is Thunderbird safe to use?
Yes, Thunderbird is safe to use. In case of Thunderbird safe or not is depends upon the server you are connecting.
Is Thunderbird a POP or IMAP?
IMAP is a modern and widely used mail access protocol where as POP3 is a earlier and less functionality protocol. You can convert POP3 account to IMAP account in Thunderbird easily.